Sunday, October 2, 2011

Fall Tradition Weekend!

I love fall weather, especially being 36 weeks pregnant!  The temperature is great, the leaves starting to change and even the bare trees after the leaves fall are beautiful!

Last year we started a new family tradition of going to pick apples and pumpkins before Halloween.  It really started because it was our first Halloween in our house and I really wanted to take Jack to a pumpkin patch.  Of course my husband had no recommendations, even though he was born & raised in the area, so we went off of the recommendations of a few friends.  Decided to do the apple picking while we were there to get pumpkins... might as well, right?  I had actually never been apple picking. 

Last year we did the wagon ride/tour and just picked one apple each to eat during our trip then bought some from the main market afterwards to take home.  This year we decided against the bumpy wagon ride with the fact that I'm 36 weeks pregnant and opted to drive right to the orchard to pick a bag for ourselves!  The fact that Jack was older and could be an active participant in the picking certainly helped.  The weather was a balmy 40 degrees when we headed out to the fruit farm, so we had to bundle up a bit.  It actually didn't feel so bad towards the end of our trip since it was so sunny!

Here are pictures from picking our very large pumpkins:

Father-son trek over the pumpkin vines!  P.S. I think this picture makes my son look very old!

Running to find pumpkins... there were so many he would've taken them all!

Sitting in our trunk after we decided on the two perfect pumpkins to take straight off the vine!  It was sunny so he was trying not to look up (even though I was below his eye level to take the picture).  I bet these will look amazing once carved!
Then we headed over to the apple orchard section to pick our small 10 pound bag to take home!  This weekend they had red delicious and golden delicious (as well as Jonathan, but we didn't get any of those) to pick.  Anyone have some amazing apple recipes?  Feel free to share because I don't know how all 3 of us are going to eat these apples!  (Yes, we've already started to give some to neighbors & family.)

Getting a golden delicious right at his level... some low hanging fruit for the little guy!

Daddy helping him reach a red delicious apple that was much higher!
Both of those pictures I have of him picking apples he looks so serious... I think it was because he was trying to pull so hard to get them off!

I'm very excited that the hats I got for Jack and baby's Halloween costumes arrived yesterday!  Stay tuned for Halloween pictures... sorry, you'll have to wait a few weeks!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!  I know mine ended up being extremely relaxing... much needed after my crazy work week last week!  This week will likely be just as busy at work, but I am very excited for my doctor's appointment on Tuesday!  Last week (36 week check-up) I was 2 cm dilated though not effaced at all but my doctor wants to do an ultrasound to check on the baby's size to ensure I won't have a baby that's "too big" this time.  (Jack wasn't technically too big, but his larger size probably didn't help my delivery.)  Hopefully I'll have some ultrasound pictures to scan and show off!

1 comment:

  1. It's really easy to make homemade applesauce in a crockpot! That way you can not only eat applesauce, but use it in your baking and stuff, too! I don't have a recipe offhand, but google it and I'm sure a gazillion will come up.

    Glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete