Friday, May 25, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 4 - Musings on Handwashing


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For a week I will be using only flat cloth diapers (in covers or stuffed in pocket diapers) and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants internationally!  


Today's topic hosted by Kim at DDL is: Thoughts on Handwashing (so far)


Handwashing overall has not been too bad.  In fact, the routine takes less time than our usual wash routine but I attribute that to the fact that I'm doing smaller loads of diapers and apply the caveat that I'm not entirely sure how well I'm actually getting them rinsed.  At this point I am just feeling extremely grateful to have a washer and dryer to use the rest of the time.  My arms and back are getting a bit tired, but maybe that's the fact that I just finished a load of diapers that's making me say that.... Maybe this post should've been titled "Dear W/D, I miss you."


Matt helped me make a camp style washer to use, but in all reality I just use the plunger and the bucket.  The lid seemed to be more hassle then it was worth to me.

My 5 gallon bucket with diapers being washed... "Soap cycle"

Last night I had to do 2 loads of diapers because Christopher went through so many... tonight it was one small load.  I think what gave me more of a benefit on tonight's wash is that I got into a good routine of letting covers air dry and rotating throughout the day because I was home from work this afternoon and doing all of the diaper changes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment