Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 2 - Suppplies


I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For a week I will be using only flat cloth diapers (in covers or stuffed in pocket diapers) and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants internationally!  


Today's topic hosted by Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry is: What Supplies I am Using
  • Cloth-eez Square Birdseye Flat Cloth Diapers from Green Mountain Diapers unbleached in size large.  I had to purchase these because we didn't have flat cloth diapers and my cost plus shipping for 1 dozen was $33.75 (which is less than a jumbo box of name-brand disposable diapers from Babies R Us).
  • A very basic camp style washer made for me by my husband out of a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger from Home Depot.  We basically used Kim's instructions found here.
  • Existing covers and pockets; no cost to me at this point but I am using an assortment of Flip, Best Bottoms, Rumparooz, BumGenius, Happy Heiny's and Kawaii covers/pockets which you can find pretty much every online cloth diaper retailer.  I plan on sharing my favorite of these to use with flats at the end of the challenge.
  • 2 night time diapers (only 1 per night) in rotation if needed.  My favorite nighttime diapers for Christopher are Sustainablebabyish snapless multi-fitteds.
  • Snappis (and pins, though I doubt I will use these often I just have some from a baby shower).
  • Rockin' Green Classic Rock
  • Towel to press as much moisture out of the diapers as possible.
  • Drying rack, clip pants hangers, and clothes pins if I have the chance to dry outside.
  • Maybe an iron to sanitize and speed dry some flats
Mommy pinned a flat diaper on me... and didn't poke either one of us!

I use hangers to hang the covers & pockets!

No comments:

Post a Comment