Sunday, May 20, 2012

Challenge... Accepted!


(Anyone get my "How I Met Your Mother" reference?)  If being a mother of 2 that works full-time outside the home doesn't keep my evenings and weekends busy enough I did something a little crazy...

I signed up for the 2012 Flats and Handwashing Challenge that starts May 21st and goes through May 27th. You can read the rules (and sign up if you want to participate) here.  Basically it means no washer or dryer and nothing with more than 1 layer of absorbency.  A number of participants are making their own flats out of old t shirts or receiving blankets.

I think part of me is interested to see if I could hack it if the power ever went out or if we took our cloth diapers on the road/camping. I was probably also motivated by all of these historical novels set in the late 1800s I've been reading on my Nook as of late... I know I'm a nerd [for multiple reasons]!

Another wonderful part of this week is to raise awareness about cloth diapers that are a very real option for low-income families that may not be able to afford disposable diapers.  Central Ohio has a wonderful organization that provides cloth diapers to low-income families in our area.  Be sure to check them out on Facebook!

Now I have committed to doing the washing, but Matt said he'll help me make a camp style washer.  Also, since I work full-time outside of the home and my mom watches our boys during the day we will be using flats as inserts pockets most of the time.  I am interested in trying some of the different folds out there when I'm the one doing the diaper changes, but we'll see how much I actually end up doing.  It will definitely be a challenge!

I'll also be trying to post daily on different topics of hand washing, types of flat diaper folds, the economics of this challenge, etc.  Let me know if you have any suggestions on what you'd like me to write about this coming week!


No comments:

Post a Comment