Monday, May 21, 2012

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 1 - Expectations

I am taking part in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For a week I will be using only flat cloth diapers (in covers or stuffed in pocket diapers) and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.  You can learn more about the rules and why this challenge was started by visiting the announcement post.  This year there are over 450 participants internationally!  


Today's topic hosted by Kim at Dirty Diaper Laundry is: What do I Expect to Learn?

I hope to learn how to hand wash laundry using a camp style washer and a few flat cloth diaper folds... and honestly I am hoping to learn if I can hack it.  Let's be real, my life is busy enough with kids but add cloth diapers to the mix it got a little busier... add the fact that I'll be hand washing them this week and needless to say, I'm a bit intimidated.  It is for a good cause though.


Last night I started a little early so I could attempt a couple of flat diaper folds for "fun".  (Yes, this is what happens when you're a cloth diapering mom, diaper challenges and diaper folds are fun.)  I changed Christopher into a flat with a cover to try a fold called the "diaper bag fold".  I for his last diaper change before he was changed into a nighttime diaper was using the "happy anteater" fold.  I don't know who names diaper folds, but I personally enjoy just saying Christopher's wearing a "happy anteater" diaper.


Starting to use flats a little early also gave me the opportunity to stop using our pockets with multi-layer inserts (typically microfiber) & all-in-one diapers and get the last machine washed load finished before packing our usual diapers away for a week.  I also washed the two flat diapers and covers that were used Sunday... wow, I am going to have some toned arms considering that is going to be half of a typical load for this week.  Yikes!



These were easily dry this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment