Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Final NFP class!

I can honestly say that I am sad that our classes are now over! I will never turn down the opportunity to learn and grow in our faith and gain any tools that help us live in accordance with God's will in our life.

Overall, we are very satisfied in understanding the technical aspects of charting and the guidelines. We have learned a lot and it is definitely logical (it has taken months to learn and we continue to learn, so it is hard to describe in a blog post). Anyone who would like to discuss the technical and scientific side of things feel free to let me know! I'd love to share that knowledge... I am a scientist after all, so I love marrying my faith to science!

Tonight's final class was teaching on the theology of Natural Family Planning and the reasoning behind the Church's teachings on contraception, etc. We had an excellent speaker who is a professor of theology at the Pontifical College Josephinum here in Columbus. He was also a theology professor at ODU when we were there, and actually recognized Matt tonight! His knowledge of the theology was so inspiring and reaffirming. It was also very beneficial to listen to his philosophical discussion the topic, as well as arm us with the tools to support our beliefs if we are challenged about our practice. Which we kind of expect due to this is typically "against the grain" of society!

He and our instructors kept referring to NFP as the best kept secret of the Catholic Church... we really enjoyed that because it really is rarely discussed! In fact when we were going through marriage preparation it was barely brought up by our priest or at our Pre-Cana day.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when priests or anyone wants to discuss NFP and the theology behind the teachings of the Catholic Church.

    I think priests should be encouraged to speak about it more. Many of them have been "shunned into silence" on the matter, it seems. For those of us following this teaching, the affirmation from clergy is motivating and inspiring and.....well, necessary!

    Congratulations! My husband and I have been on this journey for almost 9 years and it's been a truly life-changing and soul-moving experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a great experience! Unfortunately, there are not many good teachers on the subject and it RARELY gets brought up in detail in marriage prep classes. I'd agree that it's the Catholic Church's best kept secret! We LOVE NFP and the choice it gives us each and every month that we have to make together as husband and wife. Plus no nasty side effects!!! Anyways, I'm glad you guys now feel knowledgable on the subject! Good luck!
    xoxo
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete