Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Supply and Demand... of Milk

All of the stress of the move did a number on my supply and getting back into the routine of pumping at work was not so easy! I went out for a friend's birthday last Friday so Matt had to give Jack what I had pumped the Thursday at work. Well, we had some back-up frozen and we thawed it for Monday, but it was only about 6 ounces. I had all intentions of pumping in between feeding him on Sunday, but was so exhausted I never did. It took 5 months, but we finally had to "give-in" and supplement his bottles with some formula. Let me say this loud and clear, I feel there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with formula feeding for babies... what works is different for every family and every baby. As a scientist I completely understand that formula is nutritionally complete for a baby's growth & development. Now, after saying that, I do feel a certain amount of personal pride of being to be my son's source of nourishment after his birth. Its fairly obvious that while I was pregnant he got all of his calories and nourishment to grow & develop directly from me. To be able to continue that "service" to him after he was born is a beautiful thing and something that is very important to me. I love the bonding time I get with him... to me nothing is more relaxing after a long day at work to snuggle up on the couch and feed him. Another benefit is the money saving aspect. If you know me, you know I'm a very practical person. I clip coupons for our groceries and rarely buy any clothing unless its on sale and at a good deal. I read every review I have time for before making a major purchase, or even adding things to our baby registry this past year! So, of course the fact that breastmilk is free is just another benefit. There's nothing wrong with enjoying the emotional and financial benefits of this choice we've made for our family!

Its Wednesday and my supply is finally catching back up to be able to have enough for his bottles while I'm working. Phew! I'm certainly glad it wasn't an irreversible situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment